Main Benefits of Ujjayi Breathing
- Calms the nerves, activating the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Creates an audible focus, moves us away from a busy mind-field (chitta).
- Can be used anytime – very effective before bedtime if insomnia is present.
- Neutralizes the moment – allowing us to see and be in the present moment, responding wisely to life and not in a “reactive” mode.
- Removes superficial tightness of the muscular system – allowing flexibility to enter.
Techniques of Ujjayi Level One
- Breathe in and out through the nose
- Breath should land in the diaphragm
- Natural breath on the inhale
- Extend the out breath by constricting the back fo the throat, creating a oceanic sound.
- Use a pause between the inhale and the exhale – long as COMFORTABLY possible (as a yoga practice advances, these retentions can get very very long. This is where the ‘magic’ is).
- The louder the exhale, the longer the out-breath and the deeper the effect.
(Note: The effects arrive once it becomes second nature (please be patient) This breath is done from the time we sit to just before relaxation pose. practice practice practice ANYwhere)